Saturday, April 16, 2011

Saturday

Since I finished by Bible Study for Sunday ahead of schedule (I’m usually a little frantic by Saturday afternoon), I had time for some different kind of things today. Early on, I asked João to take me to the organic market today. I was pleased to find the market and buy a couple of things, most especially apples. Honestly, I was disappointed that there wasn’t more selection. I also found the layout and display rather “down”. I like for food shopping to be a visual experience. But everything was dirty and in old wooden boxes and just kind of ugly and depressing. I always loved grocery shopscan0003ping in Ottawa because of the nice grocery store near my house. I miss Loblaws. Nevertheless, I have to admit this market did do the job in terms of vegetables. I even got some organic yogurt. I really wish I could get organic milk somewhere, but they only had goat milk. YUK!
I was also able to finish my daffodil watercolor. I was very happy with the results. Now I am already thinking of my next Daffodils in the Window_jpg daffodil. What is the deal? I don’t know, but maybe OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         it’s that I’m missing spring. I’m  having a hard time deciding which daffodil I want to do. It’s between these three options. cat-and-daffodilsI’m definitely leaning toward the one with the window. I just love the colors. The cat is cute, but black is just terrible for watercolor. I think that would work better in pastels or acrylics.  What do you think?
I’ve also been artistic in the kitchen today. I’ve spent a lot of time in the kitchen. I made an organic lunch with stuff I bought at the market. In addition, I pre-prepared tomorrow’s lunch. I can’t wait to eat the barley, which I have always loved andReady to put in the oven haven’t eaten it in a blue moon. As I write this I am working in the kitchen, waiting for my bread to be ready. I am baking “real” yeast bread. I have always made quick breads, but today I want to see if I could make the real thing. I didn’t chose an easy recipe, that’s for sure. It’s a quinoa bread, and I had to cook the quinoa, and also the oats. I used whole wheat as well. Since I have no idea what bread flour would be called here, or if you can buy it, I just used regular flour. The dough rose nicely. Now I just have to figure out how to know when it’s done, since my oven is like totally and completely unreliable. It certainly smells good. In about 10 more minutes I’m going to stick a thermometer in it to sQuinoa breadee if it’s done.  So I’ll wait to post this when I finish the bread and let you know how it turns out.  OK, here we go. It seems to have reached 200 degrees and so I’ve taken it out of the oven and will wait another 15 minutes for it to cool, but it looks good and sounds right (sounds hollow). Can’t wait to have it for breakfast tomorrow morning. Oops... didn't wait. João and I sliced the bread and each ate a slice. It was good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the one with the window. It looks more like what I think of watercolor.