Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Silver Wedding Anniversary

Tonight there was a 25th wedding anniversary celebration at the church. We, of course, have lots of weddings (10 since August!), and I don't even try to attend them all. I find, since they are on Saturdays and end very late, somewhat stressful. This, however, was different. Contrary to "normal" people, the middle of the week is actually better for me. Somehow there is something more charming and more moving seeing a couple who has weathered the good and bad times. Tonight was no exception. In the photo their son is singing to them. Isn't that sweet? They also sang a duet. The song is sung at a lot of weddings, but it made more sense to hear "God planned you for me" when the couple has lived that reality. We really do have it wrong spending so much on weddings and so little on the anniversaries. By the way on the floor what you are seeing are rose petals mixed with metallic streamers (you can actually see some of them floating down). As the son was singing, these came floating down from the ceiling, raining rose petals. We always do this at weddings, but the addition of the metallic streamers matching the colours of her dress, was so exceptionally beautiful. Wish I had filmed it. Inside the heart they projected pictures of their wedding and also of their marriage. We are coming up on our 15th anniversary and it made me think that João and I need to do something special to thank God for the blessing he gave us of each other. By the way, Mia has been my special helper while I've been doing this post. I have been trying to teach her to sit quietly at the computer. She tends to like to scratch at the screen (not exactly recommended behaviour for a LCD screen) and stand and stretch. She says good-night to all.

No comments: