Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Library Time

I know I am a cyclical person. Right now I am in a "reading" cycle. I have always been a reader, but at times I immerse myself, totally, in books. That is me, right now. It all started when I began preparations for our Sunday School Congress this weekend. Although I know people didn't even realize what post-modernism really is, that is actually our theme. I began to read and look into the whole subject. Of course these aren't exactly "page-turners", but as I have thumbed through them and read here and there, I have been fascinated by what post-modernism means for us as evangelicals. Post-modernism isn't just that we live in a "more than modern" era, but is a whole new philosophy of life. We really are at a crux in history. I know we have always heard that "the times are a-changing", but right now everything really is changing - from architecture, to music, to art, to movies, to worship services! It is a fundamental change in thinking and acting, and this change very much explains why so many 16-35 year olds have and will continue to fall away from traditional churches. Where does that leave us? In what direction should we be moving? So nearly every morning João and I have been discussing this and trying to grapple with these ideas. For me "ideas" have always been impractical, but what we believe determines what we do. So here I am up to my ears in theological and philosophical books, as you will note by the list of books in my "virtual" library to the left.
At the same time, I am reading a fascinating book, "Escape", by Carolyn Jessop. I can hardly stop, anxious to find out what will happen. It is the story of a woman who escaped from a fundamentalist polygamous cult. After I finish, I am trying to decide between "A Thousand Splendid Suns", or "A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier", or "The Mayflower and Her Passengers". Anyone out there read any of these books? Do you have a recommendation? Do you have any other books I might enjoy reading?

2 comments:

Gսstav໐ Frederic০ said...

Peggy! This is Gus! How are you? I'm glad you're looking at this subject :) I launched a web site (a wiki) in Portuguese for people to share resources related to the emergent conversation (conversa emer-gente, as I put it). Have a look:


http://emergente.pbwiki.com


I'm always looking for suggestions and comments on books and other resources, so you're more than welcome to do recommend stuff!

Cheers!
Gustavo

Gսstav໐ Frederic০ said...

BTW, I and Sidney got to know Pr. David E. Fitch in Hamilton about 2 weeks ago. He's a very nice person and very knowledgeable! Sidney got his book, The Great Giveaway: Reclaiming the Mission of the Church, which is in your list. I'll read it after him.

- G