Tuesday, December 04, 2007

It's Beginning to Look (not feel) a Lot Like Christmas

Today João and I took off a couple hours, as we haven't really had any time off together for more than two weeks. We enjoyed a nice lunch together and tried to finish up the Christmas shopping. The mall was so beautifully decorated, that I really enjoyed just looking. Of course I can't walk for long or even really fast or else my calf screams for attention. Still I am able to walk around the mall and do my shopping if I don't rush it and stop and stretch some. I think my tendon problem is chronic, so I am going to have to learn to live with a degree of discomfort unless I lose about 30 pounds. Can't see that happening.
I didn't expect the decorations to be so beautiful, so I only had my cell phone with me, so these photos don't really capture the beauty. The trees were two-three stories high.
The last couple of weeks have been rather hectic. Weekend before last I was at a state women's camp. It was great to preach for women. There were about 400 or so present (see photo to the right), and many old acquaintances. I found it very rewarding. I love sharing God's word and so miss doing so on a regular basis. I continue to pray for open doors in this ministry. Right now I am seen as the pastor's wife - capable of working with the children,and helping João, but not for preaching and teaching I guess. But at the right time, things will unfold I know. God's timing is perfect!
This past weekend we had a wonderful congress about Sunday School at our church. I had hoped it would be better attended, but we only had around 250-300. Still that's a good group and I think some real seeds of change were planted. The main speaker was really really fantastic. I did an afternoon workshop with the teenagers and had so much fun with them. (The only reason I didn't do the children's workshop is because I told them I preferred working with another age group. So I guess they thought I could possibly handle teenagers (certainly not adults, right?). But I wouldn't have missed it for the world. The kids were a riot. I loved it. I had the room set up like a living room and we analyzed music and movies. Their thoughts were deep and they taught me much. The kids at our church are just charming and I love them so much. If I had the drive and energy I would take them on, but they need someone younger and more energetic. Still now and then I do teach them and every single time is a blessing. I am encouraged that we will be calling a youth minister next year. I tried to do a composite picture, pulling together 3 photos of the group, so it's an odd shape, but if you click on it you get a better view.
I really shouldn't be working on this blog tonight as I need to be planning the worship service that the orchestra will be participating in on the 16th. They need to pull together all the arrangements, so they need to know the order of worship. I am tired and guess I needed to think on other things. Still, Momma always said: "work before play", so off I go. Hope you are enjoying your snow as much as I am enjoying my air-conditioning!

No comments: