Thursday, January 24, 2008

The City of Tiles

I haven't written, of course, because I was traveling and the access to the internet was extremely precarious. It's funny, sometimes I complain about life here in Rio, but when I get away from here, I miss all the conveniences of the "big city". Things like a hot shower (where we stayed there was only cold water... argh!) and taxis on every corner and high speed internet.
Anyway, for 10 days we were up north (so far north that even though it is summer here in Rio, it was winter in São Luíz) in the capital of the state of Maranhão. The only real difference up there (just 3 degrees from the equator) between summer and winter is that it rains every day in the winter. That it did - rain every day. I had a permanent frizz to my hair and it was so humid most of the time I just pinned it up.
Mia was not anxious for me to leave and she jumped in my suitcase, as it to stop my travels. I did travel without her, and when I returned she pretended like she had never met me before. I was met with very cold indifference!
We had a good plane trip up, although it seemed to take forever. The day after we arrived to took off some time to visit the historic center of the "city of tiles". São Luíz is names for Louis the 14th, and was originally a French colony. It seemed to stagnate for years and years and due to the neglect, the colonial architecture has remained virtually undestroyed in the historic part cof the city. Many of the old buildings are all of ceramic tiles, which has become the logo mark of the city.
It definitely made for an interesting day visiting the old buildings and walking the narrow cobblestone streets. And it was all up and down hills and steps. In some ways it reminded us of Quebec City.
We found the people just delightful and so friendly. We asked someone where to eat and they walked us to their favorite restaurant. Can't beat that, eh? It was a 16th century building, that was unfortunately too dark to photograph. The streets were narrow and often it was impossible to get enough perspective to get a good shot. We even visited a food market that had the most interesting "smells". I couldn't get over the huge bags of cashews (you'll see them in a photo to the left)
All in all in was a great day.
After that day, things got busy. The next day (Wednesday) was the pastor's wives meeting, where I shared the opening address. In the evening we went to the music minister's conference. On Thursday I attended the women's meeting in the day and at night returned for the music minister's concert.
On Friday the convention began in earnest. This year they decided to only have business sessions in the afternoons. Morning and evening would be for inspiration. The Bible study leader was fabulous. I definitely had a spiritual banquet with real food with him. Can't say the same for the other messages... they were mostly "fluff", with lots of stories and a ton of emotion thrown it, but no real "meat". People ate that up, of course, which is fine, I suppose, but I was very uncomfortable with most of the sloppy speaking and theology and careless worship. The music was way too much and way too loud. Some of it was okay, but definitely what I call "popular" and nothing to really make you think. I know it was a convention for the masses, but made me homesick for my church here in Rio where the worship helps me sense God's presence through my body, soul and mind and not just through my emotions. I feel farther and farther away from where the Baptists are heading these days. I have become grumpy, demanding, old and set in my ways or something or the other. I just don't like 3 hours of standing and swaying and crying and extended invitations. It does stir people, but does it result in transformed lives? I am not sure if I want to go back to a convention if this is the best we have to offer (with the exception of the Bible study leader, that was definitely worth it all).
So the convention droned on Friday and Saturday. Sunday, João preached at two small churches and it was GREAT! I felt so at home at the churches. The people in São Luíz were just wonderful. So we had a very good day on Sunday.
Monday and Tuesday the convention continued on, morning, noon and night. Monday night was the missions night and I always love seeing the missionaries, although this year the board president took it upon himself to talk forever, so we only got to hear two missionaries. Oh well.
By Tuesday, I had had it. It was hot. I had listened to all I wanted to hear. I was tired of cold showers and frogs in my bedroom. I was itchy from so many mosquito bites. I was ready to go home, which we did on Wednesday afternoon. I was pleased, however, that there was enough time on Wednesday to walk on the nearby beach and take a long swim in the pool. That was just what I needed.
We headed home in the afternoon and arrived in our home sweet home around midnight. I was happy to take a long hot shower and sleep in my own bed. Carnival is next week and we usually travel to visit João's parents about 8 hours from here. Today I decided that I will let João go on his own and I will gladly stay home in my air conditioned bedroom. I definitely like my comfortable home. I think our niece and nephew (young adults) will be coming down from Vila Velha, while João goes up. This way I'll be here to host them.
It rather sounds like I hated the whole experience, and I did not. I loved the city. I had lots of fun seeing so many old friends. I would hate to count how many hugs I gave and received. I enjoyed the company of the group of Baptists with whom I traveled from Rio. We made new friends. I learned so much from Dr. Luiz Sayão, who taught the book of James. It was great to see the beaches of São Luiz everyday and have time away from the rush, rush, rush of Rio. It was even good to be away from the internet and rest my brain. We ate some really good fish and shrimp as well.
I suppose my disappointment with the denomination was so overwhelming it has tended to color the whole experience. The picture of the ruins on the right is kind of how I feel about the way the convention is going...
Nevertheless, I made an important decision about mentoring and spiritual responsibility, that will certainly change the direction of my life. Someday soon I will write more about that.
I am glad I went. I am glad I am home.
And that's the truth!

No comments: