Wednesday, January 30, 2008

One woman's meat,another woman's poison.

Since we returned from São Luís last week, the weather here in Rio, according to me, has been WONDERFUL. It has been rainy and cool. Today, the sky is blue with soft white puffy clouds and the temp is 23C (or 73 F), which is just about perfect. We don't even need fans right now. In the middle of January when it would be 90 and above with horrible sticky hot weather we have had a week of miracle weather. I see people in long-sleeved jackets, etc. Everyone is cold. I just love it. I feel like it is a gift of life. I feel so good. Just had to share my joy.
Now you know, of course, that not everyone feels this way and of course I sympathize, for as much as hot weather makes me feel sick and tired and ache all over, I know most Brazilians feel that way in the cold weather. So they are miserable, especially the students who are on their summer break and want to go to the beach.
Carnival is arriving and people are heading out by the droves for the beaches. If the weather doesn't change, it will make for some unhappy campers, that's for sure. Carnival is officially on Monday and Tuesday of next week, but starting today people are heading out of the city. Sissy will travel to the beach tomorrow. João will head to his parent's house. I will stay here with Mia and perhaps not step out of the house for 6 days. I plan to read and write and clean house and iron, but mostly just hang out in my hammock and enjoy days of not having to report to anyone and having no schedule. Oh bliss. Now if it would just rain and be cool for me, I think I would be in heaven :)

No comments: