Wednesday, August 27, 2008

But I LIKE Worm Theology

There is a grand old hymn, that I just love "Alas and Did My Savior Bleed" by Isaac Watts. If you don't remember it, you can listen in at the CYBERHYMNAL page.
As a child, the first verse was sung with the phrase "Would he devote that sacred head, for such a worm as I?" When I was a young woman, there was a movement to change the words to "For sinners such as I?" It was so adopted in our Baptist churches, with the very strong argument that this represents "worm theology". In the 70's there was a current of thought that all that was wrong with people could be cured by increasing their self-esteem. People just needed to believe that they were special in God's eyes and all would be okay. We certainly could not lower people's self-image by calling them worms. That is very bad theology. I bought into it hook, line, and sinker. (Ok, for you who are not Americans, that is a fishing image that means that I believed it totally.) As a teacher, and Christian educator I taught, for many years, that we have to avoid anything in our classrooms that will make our little angels believe they anything less than wonderful. I touted the line I heard my own preacher say from the people "I ain't junk because God don't make no junk". I was suspicious that anyone too humble really had an issue with self-esteem. I was sure that God made no one to be a worm.
And in a way I was right. God didn't create people to be worms. Nevertheless, we CHOSE to become worms. Yip, I have come to the conclusion that "we is worms", nasty, ugly, little dirt loving, slimy (sorry, I know worms aren't really slimy), disgusting creatures.
You know how I came to that conclusion? I threw my psychology/pedagogy books out the window and started paying more attention to the Word of GOD.
Isaiah 41:14 - Fear not, you worm Jacob,you men of Israel!I am the one who helps you, declares the Lord;your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel.
Job 25: 4-6 - How then can man be in the right before God? How can he who is born of woman be pure? Behold, even the moon is not bright, and the stars are not pure in his eyes; how much less man, who is a maggot, and the son of man, who is a worm!”
Oops! Turns out, compared to God, we really are worms. And that is the simple truth. We are so far removed from God's sanctity, we really are disgusting. Of course in a world that's allergic to the word sin, no one wants to hear that truth. We go to church to feel good, right? Not to be condemned.
Well it's about time we felt condemned by our sinful nature. That we feel revulsion when we see who we are and what we have done to a righteous God. That we enter into his presence with trembling. That we fall on our knees in contrition over our sins and call out with Isaiah: "Woe is me, for I am a sinner".
Mostly what we like to say is "Oh boy, how I love Jesus. How he loves me. I feel so good. I am so good. Goody, goody, goody. I am friends with God. Wow. Aren't I special?" To paraphrase some of the theology of our current songs and liturgy.
Me, I've had enough of feeling good about myself. When it's dark and I am all alone, I know it is all a pretense, a show. I have to agree with Paul's words in 1Timothy 1:15 - "Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners-- of whom I am the worst." I am a sinner - the worst in the world. Sinner #1.
Ah, but it was for that reason that Jesus Christ came into the world. Paul says it better in verse 16 - "But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life."
Friends, I think we have let the world's wisdom lead us down a garden path, into a place where our theology really stinks. (By that I mean it's rotten.)
I am tired of listening to the WORLD'S voice on how to be a leader, how to live your life, how to be happy, how to get rich, how to do anything. I want to hear God's voice on the subject. Yes, I am still reading lots of books, but trust me, I am not buying anything until I really analyze it in the light of Word of God.
Am I a worm? Yes I am. I am a sinner. A disgusting sinner. A slimy sinner. A nasty sinner. I don't know how the Sovereign God, the Ruler of the Universe can stand to look at me. BUT the Good News is that He does. Through his Son, Jesus Christ I have been redeemed. I have received his grace. By his favor I can lift my head from the dirt. And that's why I can sing with Isaac Watts, "but drops of grief can ne'er repay, the debt of love I owe." If I was already wonderful, then why did Jesus need to die? Why should I be grateful?
It is so much better to recognize that I am a worm, than to suspect others think I might be and then try to prove otherwise. That makes for a lot of conflict and pride. I have to work twice as hard to prove I really am a butterfly inside. Me, I know I am a worm. I don't have to prove anything. I can live in joy because Jesus freed from that. I agree with Isaac: "Dissolve my heart in thankfulness and melt mine eyes to tears ...Here Lord I give myself away, tis all that I can do".
So, don't you think it's pretty wonderful receiving God's umerited grace/favor, than trying to be good enough to deserve it?
Me, I kinda like worm theology. Crazy, eh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I so agree, I often sing the old versions of hymns and songs. D