Saturday, August 30, 2008

My Empty Savings Account

Are you as tired as I am of advice on how to save time? Today I decided to take out some of that time I have been saving all these years by multi-tasking and guess what? There was nothing there! My time savings account is totally broke. Seems there is an expiration date and "saved" time only lasts about 60 seconds. I also tried to put time in a bottle and that didn't work either. It just evaporated in the air.
So as of today I quit! No more saving time for me. I am going to quit obsessing about everything I can do (my efficiency), stop trying to do three things at the same time (unless that includes eat, talk, and watch TV all together), and cease and desist from feeling guilty for not trying to do everything other people think I need to be doing.
Today, for example, I walked to the fish market, wasting 15 minutes there and 20 minutes back (there was about 6 lbs of groceries to carry). I got exercise, fresh air (as fresh as it ever gets in Rio), and some fresh salmon that was deboned and skinned for me at the market. To fix it I stopped at the fresh market for lemons, cilantro, peppers, garlic and parsley. Came home, chopped all the herbs and now the fish is marinating. It would be a lot quicker to buy a frozen meal. Or even to go out to eat. But just think how much more we will enjoy sitting in our kitchen and chatting while eating fresh salad with baked salmon. What more could want?
I am just going to accept the fact that it really does take an entire morning to prepare a meal, if you make it fresh. Right now my raspberries are soaking so I can "mush" them and put them in my homemade yogurt. Lots better than the starchy, sugary mess they sell at the supermarket. Of course that mean I had to stay in babysitting the fermenting yogurt.
Life takes time. And I don't want to hurry through it anymore. I figure my life is more than half over (what are the odds I'll live longer than 112 years?) and so I really have decided it's true "slow down, you move too fast. You got to make the morning last". I might as well do what I like for the last half and not get in any hurry about it. If I don't get something done, so be it. I doubt the world comes to an end if I am late to someplace.
My "time" savings account may be empty (always was even when I saved all that time), but my life is full and that's what counts.

No comments: