Monday, August 11, 2008

What's the News, What's the Buzz?

I really haven't fallen off the face of the earth. I was out of town last week, which made it hard to do an entry in my blog. Then, when I returned, I was playing catch up. So now let me catch you up a little on all that is happening around here. Saturday, the 2nd, we had a "Country" party at church. It was a lot of fun. We had and accordion player, country dancing, a mechanical bull, and lots of other entertainment and great food. It really was a lot of fun for us all and a surprising success, as a kickoff to our 124th anniversary at the church. I was ever so cute in my cowboy hat. I did enjoy the evening. On the following Monday we went out of town, together with our minister of music, to a national music minister's retreat, where João was the keynote speaker. It was like crazy getting everything ready for that and leaving everything ready for the next week at church. We didn't return until Thursday morning, so four days away is a lot. It was nice to meet new people, see old friends and hear some good music. I emphasize some, because unfortunately even many of our "musicians" have fallen victims to thinking we have to sing endless, repetitive chorus, with a lot of talky-talk between, and then play mindless tunes while we are supposed to be in prayer. ARGH!!!!! Fortunately that didn't take place in every session. It certainly makes me grateful for my church where we don't have all that yakety-yack and "praise time" that lasts 90 minutes. I am becoming old and grumpy I suppose!
The good news on our return is that our church staff is growing. We had recently invited a young man (well anyone in their 20's is young to me!) to be our youth minister and we received the news that he accepted. We are thrilled. João decided to announce the news Sunday night. You can see him, together with his lovely wife, at the podium in prayer at the close of our service Sunday night. Everyone is well pleased. He has been the chaplain at our school and is well liked by our youth and our deacons and so he already has a head's up. We still have to work out when he will start and when his installation (induction) service will be, but that is just "gravy".
We are praying for God to show us the right person for children's ministry as well. Our main candidate, already a church member and one of my ex-students, just didn't feel she wanted to take this one right now. So we are praying and seeking the right person. It is exciting to see things fall into place ever so slowly.
Today we had a lovely lunch with João's old seminary roomate, who is home from South Africa (as a missionary). We have entertained both he and his wife on separate occasions over the past two years, but had not had a chance to be with both of them together. It made for a great day.
I have been drawing off and on over the last few weeks. I did a couple of Degas' dancers and one of his nudes (that I won't be putting on my blog) and am now involved in drawing Mia. It looks just like her and I am excited. But drawing in the fur takes forever. It is hair by hair and is very slow. I am having some neck and arm pain, so I am taking it easy on the drawing these days. I think I have overreached my boundaries in that area, for I have had chronic problems with my neck for years and years, although it's been at least 15 years or so since I've had a flare-up. Consequently I will be trying to diminish my computer use for a while, until it quits bothering me. That being said, that's about all I have to say for now.

No comments: