Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Guilty as Charged

coffeebeans

When I first came to Brazil in 1983, I hated, no that’s just not strong enough, I despised coffee. I think the few times it ever entered my mouth I spewed it out. I courageously would sip slowly on a little cup when I visited folks in my first years in Brazil. I frankly didn’t even know how to make a cup, other than the instant stuff (and who says that is REAL ccoador_cafe_de_tecido_com_xicaraoffee?).

Gradually, as the years passed, I learned to make a cup of coffee, Brazilian style, using a cloth filter. That is a a simple method that makes a decent cup of coffee if you don’t boil the water, just heat it to the right temp. I even got the point I would actually make a cup of coffee, now and then, for myself.

bodum-bistro-nouveau-french-press-coffee-maker-3-cup-157301gvp Fast forward some years to Canada, where I discovered that I only really liked Brazilian coffee! I also learned to roast and grind my own coffee. I discovered the use of a French press that makes a mild and mellow coffee and espressoof the Italian coffee pot that makes a very strong cup of coffee. I also learned the art of making frapuccino, which is just cold coffee with milk that is shaken until foamy. The upshot of which was that I began drinking coffee regularly.

If anyone would acccoffee_morninguse me of being addicted, I would always say that I just enjoy coffee. It’s a pleasure, but I can take it or leave. That was probably true until the last few years, since returning to Brazil. Here I have finally learned to drink my coffee with no sugar or sweetener, learning to really TASTE the  coffee. No flavors either. I will admit, I don’t much drink coffee outside my own home, since I am extremely picky. Today I decided not to make any coffee. Usually I make a small pot (about 3 very small cups) with milk and drink it while I study my Bible. Well it’s afternoon and I have a roaring headache and can’t keep my eyes open.  So I have just made myself one small cup of coffee and what a delicious treat that was. I am busted. I am really addicted. I am not really happy about that. So do I go cold turkey now, wait for vacation, or accept my addiction?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Peggy,

Accept your addiction and be happy. Afinal, life is short!
Beijos,
Roberta.