Friday, April 24, 2009

Tulips, English and holidays

Yesterday was another holiday here in Rio, if you can believe it. St. George’s Day, as in St. George and the Dragon. It’s not like it’s a day millions celebrate. Only the St. George devotees. I was hoping to enjoy it, but had to teach. Since I am teaching missionaries they want them to learn they can’t always celebrate their holiday Brazilian holidays in other countries. But why did I, the teacher, have to suffer along side them????

I didn’t mind, really, but in compensation, I wanted to enjoy our official day off, Friday. However, I had accepted a very small speaking engagement at the International Christian School here in Rio. It was at 8:30AM, which isn’t bad, except it’s an hour away. My poor sweet (and very patient) hubby had to get up early to drive me over. Me I still haven’t renewed my license and am dragging my feet as long as I can. Who really wants to drive in Rio? I enjoyed getting speak in English, and I usually accept those kind of engagements readily. It is so strange to speak to such a silent group, as the discipline is pretty strict at this school. I am more used to the loose anything goes manner of classes here in Brazil. It was the chapel service for the high school and I tried to keep it short and sweet (12 minutes is a record for me!). I talked about how the movie “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” is a great illustration of Ecclesiastes (Meaningless, meaningless. It is like chasing the wind!). Then I contrasted that with the life of my great heroine, Charlotte Diggs Moon. (For my non Southern Baptist friends, she was a missionary to China from 1873-1912, and our only “almost canonized”  saint!) I think it actually worked as I ended by sharing Philippians 1:21 – “For me to live is Jesus Christ and to die is gain” .

Afterwards, we went to the large nearby mall (Barra Shopping), and enjoyed cappuccino and books! We came home with more books (our personal addiction). This afternoon, I finally finished up my watercolor tulips. You may remember that I did them in graphite (See my April 8th entry) and now have finished them in watercolors, with an acrylic paint background, as I just couldn’t get the watercolor dark enough fortulipas the contrast I wanted. Did I show you the original? It’s on the right! (A little humor there!) I still haven’t been able to create the luminosity I would like with watercolors, but in my defense the original is brighter than the picture of it.

That, then, was my Friday. I think I really need to accomplish something serious, so guess I’ll wash the breakfast dishes that are still in the sink. Have a great weekend.

No comments: