Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Virtual Sketchbook Attempt

Today is a holiday here in Brazil. Yipee! Therefore, I decided to do something I would enjoy, and since it was pouring down rain all day, I didn’t much want to venture outside. I had visited a website called “Virtual Sketchbook” and was fascinated by the idea. If you click on the link you’ll see what it is, but I’ll give you an idea of what it entails.

The concept of the blog is that every month a photo is submitted and anyone who wants can draw or paint part or all of the picture. Then the results are posted on Flicker and there is a link to each person’s blog who painted the picture. I loved looking at the photos. Then I thought, what the heck? Go for it. It’s not like I’m in the league with anyone else who has submitted their work, but it is a great exercise for me. So today I drew the part of the photo I liked and then painted it with acrylics on paper, since I can’t exactly afford to buy a canvas for all my exercises. It was great fun for a rainy day. It was a real first for me, since it was the first time I’ve tried to paint anything with acrylics all on my own. No step by step, or instructions on how to mix colors. This month I am off my art lessons, since I am busy teaching the class at the seminary. Can you believe that just one year ago I couldn’t draw a thing and now I am painting something that resembles something? I know it’s no great work of art, but it does show I have learned something in a year. The secret is to just keep working and learning, right? If you visit the Sketchbook site, you can see the original photograph and the links to other people’s drawings/paintings on their own blogs. If you just want to see the entire collection all at once, visit the Flicker page. The Flicker page, however, is only available to those who have a Flicker account.If you have a Yahoo account, then the sign in is the same as Yahoo. The entries all have to posted by Saturday, so if you really enjoy looking at them, you’ll want to return to the Flicker page and look at the new entries. Let’s hear it for teaching an old dog new tricks, right?

12 comments:

M J Muir said...

I really like your painting. It is lovely. You are using those acrylics so well.

joanieART said...

Very nice! The golden background is perfect and sets the flower off beautifully.

Debbie Later said...

You call yourself a beginner? You sure are talented, you have a gift!

Paulette said...

Beautiful work!

Victoria on Okinawa said...

Your painting is very strong and rich like the plant itself. Thank you Peggy for visiting and posting such a kind encouraging comment at my blog.

Peggy Fonseca said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you. You have NO idea how encouraging these remarks are to me. It was a hard thing for me to share the painting. I am now much more willing to branch out and try something new like this. You are all wonderful.

ego2005 said...

Happy holiday! and congratulations for your sketch! Realistic and strong in the combination of colors.

Well done!

Carol said...

I think you're past beginner now! Very nice!

Lori said...

Peggy,
This painting is definitely in the same league or the league above all the other paintings linked here. You have made a stunning acrylic painting and frankly I am jealous. The colour and composition are both exquisite. Keep at it.

Jennifer Rose said...

this is a lovely painting! very nice values and colours :)

Sydney Harper said...

You are not giving yourself enough credit. It is absolutely in the same league as the other paintings. It's a lovely painting.

Carolina said...

I like your painting very much, I am checking the group's works for the rododendron challenge, and yours is one of my favorites.
Regards, Carolina