Monday, March 22, 2010

HELP! I’ve Procrastinated again.

  If you’ve read my blog, you know I have been “working” on writing a VBS for a long time. Maybe I should say I have been thinking about working on it. The hour of truth is upon me, as it’s due next weeDSCF0787k. Last week I really worked hard and began to make progress. My hands are killing me from so much time on the computer.
Today while on the way back from the gym (you would be so proud of me, despite everything going on, I have loyally been working out five times a week), I decided to stop at the mall and see if I could find the rest of my accessories for Elly’s wedding. Can someone please explain why they are costing twice as much as the dress did? Anyway, I had success. Last week I found the shoes and purse. Today I got my jewelry. E voilá, my outfit is pretty well complete. I draw the line at getting new underwear! Now I just have to set up the appointments to get my hair and nails done on the day. Of coursewellanomadcouture_thumb, I have to decide how to do my hair, but pelo-corto-1I think I’ll get a tapered bob, and do it in red highlights. What do you think of this color (right) and  this hair cut (left)?
This Saturday will be the wedding shower and I am looking forward to that. It should be fun. It’s also the day of prayer for world missions at our church, so between the two of them, I think it'll be a full day.
Between one thing and another, I have been listening to an audio book; mostly, of course, as the gym, but also cooking and in the car. It is called “The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks”. It was a surprising book, that I didn’t expect to enjoy all that much, as it’s largely a science text. If I had read it, I would have said I couldn’t put it down, but in fact, I could hardly stop listening. It was about 18 hours long and yet the time flew by. It is about cell research, but also about the life of the young woman who died of cancer and how her cells were used for medical research. It also traces the story of her children and grandchildren. The story of the people gripped my interest. The question of bio-medical ethics piqued my interest and made me think. The information about cell research informed and interested me as well. In another words, everything about the book was fascinating. Some parts were so interesting I rewound and listened again, something I’ve never done before. I very much want to buy a hard copy of the book to read as well. I highly recommend that you run out and get a copy of this book, to read. It will make you think; it will shock you; it will make you grieve; and it will give you hope. It was so good I was anxious to finish it, but at the same time I was sad to finish it.  I hope you enjoy it too.

No comments: