Thursday, March 04, 2010

Is it semantics or theology?

It’s probably just me, but occasionally I read things on Facebook or Orkut that make me cringe.  I mean “Christian” things. I specifically mean things like, “God is so good, I don’t have cancer!” or “God answers prayer, I got the job!” and so on. I think (I hope), it’s just a question of semantics. I mean, I am going to assume these people wouldn’t say God is bad if they did have cancer, or if they didn’t get the job, right? I think they really want to give the glory to God. That is why we pray after all, isn’t it? We don’t pray to get our own way, but we pray so that God my receive all the glory, whatever happens.

I guess there is the rub, isn’t it? At our prayer meetings, people mostly share “answered prayers”, when God says yes. When He grants what people asked for. But whprayer2009072231en He says no? I suppose it’s not in our nature to be grateful when things don’t go our way. That’s the theological question that bothers me so much.

I have watched and observed so many church members who just absolutely lose it when someone dies, or when they get sick, or other tragedies happen. We don’t much like Job’s theology: “The Lord gives and the Lord takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord”.

I understand. I don’t mean to judge. It was  wonderful when I got a negative on my biopsy for breast cancer. The whole time I waited for the results, I tried to pray that whatever happened, it would be for God’s glory. That was hard for me! My theology, however, says that’s how I must pray. I must ask for God’s will, not mine. I must rejoice in God’s sovereignty. I must confess that whether God says yes or no, it is for his glory. That even when the worse happens, God is faithful, God is good, God answers prayers.

I have certainly received handfuls of “no’s” from God. You want a list of a few?

  • Being famous
  • Having children
  • Living in Canada
  • Living close to my family
  • Having a good job
  • Being able to live in a small town
  • Not waking up with pain every morning
  • Having a fast metabolism (being able to eat good stuff and still not get fat)
  • Getting married when all my friends did (in my twenties)

Thank you God for these “no’s” and all the others along the way. You are faithful, even when I am not. You are perfect in your goodness. I bless you name when you grant me so many good things. I bless your name when you take away those blessings.

No comments: