Monday, March 08, 2010

Pastor’s Wife Sunday

Such a simple phrase and it seemed so awkward to translate. Yesterday, in the Baptist churches in Brazil, Pastor’s Wife Sunday was celebrated. It’s a fairly recently development here, officially voted in 2002, I think. I never know what to think about a date that artificially forces us to tell someone we like (or love) them. You know, like Valentine’s Day. I mean, if we need to day to remind us that we love each other, or to encourage us to be romantic, or to give gifts, isn’t there something wrong with the relationship? Or perhaps those things just aren’t important to your relationship.

I really know my church appreciates who I am. It’s nice to hear that. And I do hear it from many people every Sunday. I love the little (and sometimes BIG) gifts, people share with me to say thank-you. I love how people assure me I am in their prayers. I value that deeply.

I have some joao charcoal sketchreservations, however, about the need to be called to the front of the church and be publically recognized for doing what God has called me to do. I am doing no more or less than what all of us should be doing. I am not special, any more than all of God’s people are special. I am make no more sacrifice or suffer more because I have been called to be who “I” am, a pastor’s wife.

I suffer when worship services are transformed into meetings where we thank or praise people profusely. I do believe in honoring people and thanking them for what they have done, but I do not believe worship is the place for that. Worship is to praise and thank God and He must be the focus.

Consequently I always approach special dates with some fear and trepidation. I am happy to report that yesterday turned out “just right”. All the women in our church who are wives of pastors (or widows) were called to the front. Prayer was offered for them. It wasn’t syrupy or long, just the right tone.

In the evening, one of our small groups invited the pastor’s wives to be present and 7 of us were there. One of the artists of the group sketched our husbands and each one had to pick out her husbands from the group. Mine was easy and I recognized him right away, even if he is “blind”!!!  We all had fun getting share some of what was most important to us as ministry wives. That was actually fun.

I love being “my” pastor’s wife. I love my husband and I love my calling. I love it when others perceive that as well. Don’t feel sorry for me, but rejoice in my joy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen Sister!
Miss you terribly. So here are lots of hugs and love.
Carol

Peggy Fonseca said...

I am glad you are still loving your calling as well Carol.

Michele said...

Hello! I just wanted to say Hi....I found you at The Preacher's Wife blog. My family and I actually just moved back to the states after living in Brazil for a year and a half. We lived close to Sao Paulo, but we did get to visit Rio (although I was 8 1/2 mo. pregnant and a bit miserable) Ha! How long have you been in Brazil? How are you growing accustomed to the culture? Do you speak Portuguese? I'd love to chat with you more about your life in Brazil! I'm missing it!!! :) Blessings, Michele
http://mybrazilianlife-michele.blogspot.com