Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Just Plain Tired

Ok, I admit it. I am writing today just to be able to take a break. I am tired and I want to sit down for a minute. You want to know why I’m tired, even though I haven’t really accomplished a thing yet today? As soon as I was up, it was time to clean Mia’s eyes and then give her eye drops and apply eye ointment. She is recovering quite nicely, according to the vet, although the “bad” eye still has a way to go. You know of course, that giving her the meds means chasing her down, holding her down, then waiting 15 minutes between doses, then giving her lots of love and good combing to calm her down.

Then it was time to make breakfast. I ground the coffee beans, made the coffee, fried the eggs and Canadian bacon, and cleaned the blueberries. We ate breakfast. Cleaned it up and then time elly e be 5for Bible study/reading and some conversation catch-up with João. We always enjoy solving the world’s problems in the mornings while we are still fresh.

Next it was time to be off to the gym. I was able to do almost 3 kilometers today and my heart rate was much slower than in the first week. In fact, I am really going to have to step up the pace to get it beating fast enough. Phooey, just when it was getting easy! Same goes for my sit ups. I maxed out the reps, and so the prof. lowered the mat so it’s hard again. On several machines I have had to up the weights. So in less than a month, I am making considerable progress, although I’ve only lost about 1 inch around the waist. elly e be 7

On the walk home from the gym (it’s about 15 minutes), stopped at the market for fresh fruits and veggies. Upon arriving home, I began washing and cleaning the veggies (have to let them soak some minutes to destroy the little critters). I cut up and water melon and made fresh juice with it. (I love fresh juice, but so hate cleaning the juicer). Got all that mess cleaned up and it was time to put my organic chicken in the oven. Then I began working on cooking barley and fresh beans. Got everything going and then had to cook the eggplant and jiló. That gave me time to clean up those dishes and mop the floor while watching NCIS (more like listening) on my computer.

Then it’s time to serve lunch, eat lunch, clean up the food elly e be 4 and the kitchen (mopping the floor again, because I spilled more stuff on it). I was too tired to scrub the stove, so I let it sit while I chased down Mia again to give her more meds. Now it’s 2:00 and I need to do a million things, most importantly take a shower since I am still stinky from the workout! Fortunately I don’t need to iron anything to wear since I ironed clothes for six hours on Monday. I am totally caught up on that (at least until I do laundry again). We will need to leave in about 3 more hours, as João is finishing up a preaching series (since Sunday) at another church this week. This will be the first night I’ve been free to go with him.

I desperately need to find time to write, but I have almost decided I need to go out of town and stay somewhere by myself. That’s why I planned to write over Carnaval, to get a head start  on the VBS I have to turn in soon, but with company here, that was impossible. In fact, I just can’t seem to get any writing done with anyone present. I can’t concentrate with another “body” around. elly e Be 1

The gorgeous photos you are looking at are the engagement photos of Elly and Bernardo. Aren’t they great? And can you believe their wedding is NEXT month??? Last night I got to meet some of her bridesmaids, as they came over to see where they would be having the wedding shower. I rented our social hall in our building, which is very nice and they got to see the layout and make some fun plans. 

Believe it or notDSCF0779, I am less busy this week, as our Canadian friend has returned home, and of course one less person at home makes a difference. As I mentioned before, it was great fun to see Brazil through his eyes. I had no idea I was so adapted, as I still think of myself as an outsider, even after all these years here. People never hesitate to point out my social gaffs, my bad pronunciation, my lack of understanding of certain situations, so at times I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb all the time. Around Denny, I realized that I think more like a Brazilian than a North American. So while I’ll never “blend” in, at least I don’t stick out. That was good for me to perceive. Brazil is much more my home than anywhere else. Sometimes João and I talk about (very half-heartedly)doing missions in Italy after we retire, and I think it would be cool to live someplace where we BOTH are outsiders. We could suffer equally. Hahahahaha!

One last note, before I get down to real work. It rained at the end of last week and finally, finally, finally the temperatures dropped out of the 100’s. (40+ C) On Monday night it poured rain and the temps fell to about 75. I put on flannel jammies and socks and slept under a cover. It was glorious!!!!  The upshot of which is that I am a MUCH happier person with the temperatures in the 70’s and 80’s than in the 100’s. Hope you are much happier too.

No comments: