Thursday, March 04, 2010

A tuba?

tuba

Yes, I’m writing about a tuba. How many times have you been to a tuba concert? I bet I am one up on most of you, because tonight I went to a tuba concert.

On the first Thursday of each month, our music ministry provides a free concert for the public. Usually it is classical music, although sometimes it leans to sacred and at least once it was almost jazz. These are all professional musicians, usually connected with someone from our church, although not always members of a church.

I try to attend, and tonight I made a special effort, since I had never even heard a tuba solo, much less a whole concert. One of the musicians at our church said this young man was the best in Brazil. I’ll take his word for it, since I wouldn’t know. I can tell you that the music was fabulous. I had no idea the tuba was capable of producing such sounds. The last piece he played, by Francis Strauss (Nocturne) moved me to tears. I was stunned with its beauty. Isn’t it neat to have an totally new experience like this?

I couldn’t help contrast this with the previous evening, when I had accompanied João at another church. A famous evangelical singer was there accompanied by her entourage. She sang long and loud, with professional accompaniment and strobe lights and even had backup “dancers” for some of the children’s songs. I mostly wanted to stuff my fingers in my ears it was so loud. I had to cover my eyes to avoid a migraine with the flashing strobe lights. And was certainly not edified by such profound lyrics as “Heaven is better than chocolates and lollipops”. I tried hard to enjoy it. It was all very well done. Mostly I felt just miserable and ashamed of the whole “show” business atmosphere and the cheesy lyrics.

Tonight I attended a show, performed by someone who as not evangelical, surrounded by a secular public. Yet tonight I felt my heart soar. I thought of the beauty and truth God has created and I worshipped him. Strange, very strange.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Peggy,
I love you! Just someone brave like you can say such things in a simple and true way like that. Sometimes Sidney and I feel exactly the same. I don't understand where the Christianism is going.

I am sorry for my disappearance,I am again under the blue, but it is going to pass some day.
Love,
Roberta.
Roberta.