Friday, November 14, 2008

Floating Away in the Music

Last night… well last night was SO special. The month of November is the month of music in Brazilian churches. Our music minister has promoted several concerts in our sanctuary. Last night was the inauguration of our grand piano (full) that had been in restoration for a long time. We have been using our baby grand (1/2 grand) in the sanctuary. They brought in the full and baby grand and put them head to head. A former membePainelPetrofr, who is an internal concert pianist, Patricia Bretas, gave a concert. She also played a couple of duets with a young man from our church, who is also an international pianist.

There is a popular song that says “My Soul Sang” and let me tell you, my soul really sang last night. I don’t even know how to explain how much I soared. The grand piano had so much sound and she really did make it ring. She gave technical intros to each piece that helped us to understand the structure, etc. At times I thought she must have had 20 fingers. She danced on keyboard and my heart and soul danced with her. I heard the pain and grieved with Lizst. I ran and jumped with fun with Rachmaninoff, I worshipped with Bach and appreciated Beethoven.

They ended the evening with a contemporary arrangement of “Ode to Joy” and it was so beautiful that I was sure I was going to levitate off the pew. I wasn’t sure I was still present, thinking perhaps I had floated off to heaven. Now I know why the piano has 88 keys. They are all to be played. And now I understand why someone would practice 8 hours a day. Surely made me want to run out and buy a piano and start studying again. Maybe I will one of these days.

No comments: