Monday, November 10, 2008

CATS ARE COOL

NEW FRIENDS

I was SOOOOOOOO sad when I left Brazil and my cats, Dolly and Baby, went to live with Renata. They adjusted well to living in their new house, but I still missed them. As I moved the furniture and arranged things in my new house, I would check to make sure no cat was in the way. Whenever I saw a movement on the floor, I would think there was a cat running in the room. It was just hard to get used to the idea that I was “catless”.

After a few weeks of my sadness, my husband suggested they we adopt another cat. I wasn't sure at first, but finally decided to give it a chance. I was able to make contact with the Humane Society and find an older cat that very badly needed a home where he would be loved. He had been abandoned and was just recovering from pneumonia. He was about five years old and very very furry. When they brought him out for us to meet, we both thought he was the most beautiful, majestic cat we had ever seen. He was so sad because he had no home, just like I was sad to have no cat. I just knew that God had given me this new friend.

When we got home the cat just followed us around everywhere. His name was “Basil-Bottlebrush”, but we were not too fond of that name. My husband decided his name should be “Sadik” because that means friend in Arabic. Sadik hated being alone and want to be near me all the time. In the first couple of days he didn't want to eat anything and I was quite worried about him. Finally he accepted his new home and friends and starting acting much more perky. He would run around and then play with me. He would sit right beside when I was on the computer or watching television. He had become such a wonderful friend. He gave me hope that I would make many new friends in my new home in Canada.

This whole experience of moving to Canada and having to make new friends has served to remind me of the importance of praying for missionaries who are far from their family and friends. I have seen how hard it can be to live so far from the people and love and also how much I miss old friends. Being able to adopt Sadik also showed the importance of letting God help me make new friends. I hope you are remembering to prayer for missionaries as they adjust to living in a new place. Especially ask for God to send them friends to help them to adjust to their new home.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ahhh this cat I had the pleasure of meeting ! great stories, I am enjoying them. D