Friday, November 14, 2008

A Tropical Snowman?

Don’t you just love our creativity?

Today, our day off, we went to the mall and had lunch at Applebee. The mall is already decorated for Christmas and there was a line of mothers with their babies to take photos with Santa! But I got the biggest kick out of seeing the snowmen scattered around the mall. Wait? What country am I in? Oh yeah, I’m in Brazil. I am sweating (even in the air-conditioned mall) and there stands Frosty. By all rights he should be a little puddle of water. And I ask, what does this image have to do with Rio de Janeiro? (I should really be asking what it has to do with Christmas as well.) I know I have a collection of snowmen I decorate with, but after all I am an American with all my traditions. How do you think Brazilians relate to peppermint sticks (which don’t exist for consumption), evergreen wreaths (where no evergreen trees grow), and snowmen (in a city where 65 degrees is our COLD winter weather). Oh the joys of globalization. So I had to take a photo on my cell to let you know Frosty has come south.

No comments: