Sunday, August 09, 2009

Father’s Day

fathers day at church Today is Father’s Day here in Brazil. Fortunately it doesn’t carry all the sloppy sentimentality with false expectations that Mother’s Day does. We called the Fathers up to the front and prayed for them in the worship service. After church, we went out to the Outback for a family lunch and then had coffee afterwards. It made for a nice Sunday, although we didn’t get home until 3:30, siFather's day 2009nce there was a long line at the restaurant. Elly fell in love with and bought, on the spot, her shoes for the wedding. They are beautiful. It was a productive lunch for her!

The art display was up at church, but I will confess I was disappointed, as I didn’t think there were very many pieces being displayed, although the display itself was nicely done, I thought the subject matterart expos did not reflect the theme very well, nor was there much diversity. The art itself was lovely, but it just didn’t illustrate the theme, as far as I was concerned. I don’t get how the architecture of the front of the church shows unity. (Theme: TOGETHER!) But then maybe I am obtuse. I wished there were abstracts and some sculptures as well, but I guess we are stuck on realism. I am not sure why my work was displayed with photographs, but that's okay. It's been interesting to hear people's remarks, but I have decided I am too much of a beginner and my ego is way too delicate to hear these things! I now sympathize with struggling artists. Despite these things, I think it was a good idea to try to reconcile art and Christianity. I wish we could even have a “arts” group with Bible studies and all. So many times we have sidelined those in the arts, when that God given talent should be on the cutting-edge/frontlines of where we are heading. Maybe someday…

No comments: