Saturday, August 22, 2009

Out of Pocket

caldo verde I was out of town this week visiting with my friend Marilene, so I am a little behind in sharing with you this week. I enjoy her company so much, so it was great to have this time together. Continue to pray for her and the baby as we chose to hold on to hope and a miracle.

We had such fun in the kitchen and I learned how to make more Brazilian food. João was excited I had learned to make “Caldo Verde” (Green Potato Soup). That’s a traditional Portuguese soup that I have always enjoyed, but never knew how to make. You fry sausage and onions and garlic and then slightly fry the potatoes. Then you cook the potatoes, blending DSCF0509 (2)them with chicken broth. You put everything together, adding in very finely shredded kale, to give a green coloring to the soup. It is hardy and tasty. Invite me to your house and I’ll make you some.

Last Sunday,before travelling, we had a special Sunday focusing on children’s ministry. I preached  in the morning about the importance of children in the life of the church. At the evening service, we had a  ventriloquist share with the children anDSCF0517d the children led the worship as well. It was an exciting service to say the least. I am not sure if the kids or adults enjoyed it more. Even I had never seen a ventriloquist live and I forgot myself in the moment.DSCF0516

On the “bride” scene (Elly), things are shaping up  nicely for an April 21st wedding. She has the church and the banquet hall reserved. She got her gorgeous shoes the other day and today we got the happy news that her dress we had ordered was being delivered some time next week. Everything is coming along nicely. She and Sissy and I are all working out at the gym to get in shape. Something tells me they will make more progress than I will. Still I am up to 40 minutes on the treadmill and up to 15 lbs. on one of the weight-lifting chairs (my legs of course). Keep up the good work, right?

No comments: