Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Happy Birthday to Us

niver bolo

Don’t you think we look remarkably well preserved for celebrating our 125th birthday? Monday was our church’s birthday. We’ve been making a full month of it with activities. Sunday we celebrated with the Lord’s Supper, with the presence of many ex and long distant members present. We finally had a full house after weeks of empty pews, we think due to the Swine Flu scare. Our schools have opened again and life seems to be returning to normal.

Monday, on the actual anniversary, we had a 12 hour prayer vigil, starting at 6AM. Every 30 minutes there was a different person to lead the prayer time. João had the 6AM slot and I was at 6:30. It might surprise you to know that these were the most well attended times. That’s because people could come before work or school and then slip out as needed. People came and went all day long, although some folks stayed the entire day. It sounds like it would have been tiring, but it is such a wonderful experience. Every person brings a different perspective and style, so it is all quite varied. This year it was heavily led by the youth, so that made it different, although I laughingly noted that they were the least creative and talked the most.  I guess it was insecurity. Every aspect of church life was prayer for through silent prayer, group prayer, oral prayer, individual prayers, etc. This is a very long standing tradiniver bolo2tion and there are folks who have participated in this event for over 50 years. I hope we never ever do away with it!

At the end of the prayer time, we had a “birthday party” for the church with cake and all. The music was nice and the food was good, and I enjoyed getting to talk with folks, since there had been no time for that during the day. I will confess, however, that I missed the celebratory worship service.

I haCONVITE CULTO 30 08 09ve been faithful to my Bible reading plan this year and have been loving my daily Bible reading time. As part of our celebration we promoted a plan for reading the Bible in 125 days. I have added that to my current reading, so a big chunk of my morning has been given to Bible reading. I am so enjoying it and have been pleased to see that others at church are finding the same pleasure!

Next Sunday we close off the month of celebration with the presentation of the cantata “God With Us”.  Between the orchestra and choir there must be close to 150 participants. If you are around on Sunday night at 7PM, come and join us.

No comments: