Sunday, March 20, 2011

It’s All About Me

I was reading one of the blogs I enjoy, The Preacher’s Wife, and she was talking about her Married to the Ministry Blog Role. I was thinking about “enrolling”, meaning asking to put my blog on her list of blogs of minister’s wives. Then I got to thinking… my blog isn’t at all about being a pastor’s wife. It’s all about me, Peggy. Hence, its title: Peggy’s Penlines. It’s about all the trivial stuff in my life, like how my cactus is growing, using my slow cooker, painting watercolors and the like. It’s not about any role in life, but about what I do.

I thought about starting a different blog, in Portuguese, called “Married to the Minister”, about being a pastor’s wife, and even created a template, but just never got it up and running. In part, that’s because of having to have someone to correct my Portuguese before publishing anything, and that is just too inconvenient for me.

Peggy-Mia-23-11-2010I love being married to João. I love that he is a minister. I love being the wife of the pastor of our church. Other than that, to me there’s just not a lot more to say about it. I mean I care for my husband, as part of my ministry. I work in my church, however, because I am a Christian and I would be doing those things anyway. I don’t think I carry any special aura because I am the pastor’s wife. Here in Brazil, among the Baptists, they invented a special day to honor pastor’s wives. I appreciate the fact that people want to bless their pastor’s wife, but I feel tremendously awkward on this day and was glad it got bypassed this year. Why should I be honored because I am doing what God called me to do? What special merit do I deserve because I am married to the pastor of the church?  (Well maybe a  little merit because I was smart enough to marry João Smile.)  I do like it when people thank me for something I’ve done for them, or when I have ministered to them in some specific way. I guess I’m just saying that I don’t think it’s that big a deal having a title. And by no means do I mean to imply those who love the pastor’s wife Sunday, or who have a blog about being or pastor’s wife, or anything of the like are wrong. I am just talking about me. Like I said, it’s all about me.

I just want to keep on being me and writing about my usual dumb old stuff. Of course, maybe I’m pretentious thinking anyone is interesting in reading about how I groom my cat Mia (that’s up for a blog post one of these days, since I haven’t written about her for a long time).  I’ll just keep plugging along with my 30 or so loyal readers and hope they don’t lose interest along the way. By the way, I am liking the discipline of writing every day, although I really am not sure how long I can keep this up.

No comments: