Friday, March 25, 2011

Just a Quick Note

Today will have to be a quick note, as I don’t have time or the brain power to contemplate deep thoughts… or at least to spend them on my blog. I am trying to finish my message for tomorrow. All I need to do now is write my conclusion, have João correct my Portuguese (alas, still necessary after ALL these years) and then refine the whole message. Thanks to a sermon by John Piper I was able get a handle on the structure and organize it in a way that makes sense. I am not yet totally excited by the message, but I think I will be when I finish it.

Last night, as I took a breakgranola em cooker from my struggles (and it must have worked, because my illumination came right afterwards), I made some granola for my husband. That’s no big deal, as I do that regularly as he likes to eat that every night before going to bed. This time, however, I decided to try it out in the slow cooker since I read that this was much easier than a conventional oven. Using my slow cooker… what else is new, eh?

In reading about the process I was somewhat relieved to see how many other people have also burned up whole pans of granola in the oven. My oven is about as consistent agranola close up in cookers I am, so I never know if it’s going to be warm or super hot. That is a death knell to ever so sensitive granola. So even with my timer going off every 10 minutes (time to turn, so you won’t burn) I scorched a few recipes.. without mentioning the times I’ve just gone off for an hour or so (into my air conditioning) and forgotten the batch.

I made my usual recipe (which means I dumped whatever grains and nuts I had around the house, plus some oil and honey to moisten, with some spices I like). You’ll notice I had the lid vented. That was a suggestion that’s important, so you don’t end up with oatmeal, since granola na pote the cooker steams food. I am happy to report that the cooker was much less hands on than the oven. Since I started the recipe late in the evening (around 7PM), I didn’t put it on slow, but on high. In about 3 hours it was ready. I think I stirred it twice. I knew to stir because I began to smell the wonderful delicious smell of granola roasting. The recipe book said that was a clue you should stir. They were right, as it was browning nicely on the bottom. You can see it made a goodly portion and browned nicely, although I almost let it get too done. That’s why I would make it on low heat the next time.

I was pleased with the result, although for me the granolagranola ready to eat wasn’t sweet enough, with just 1/4 c. of honey to 5 c. of oats and quinoa, but definitely crunchy and healthy, with almonds and flax seed. It was pretty good with some plain yoghurt. Very “mother-earth”.

No comments: