Friday, March 18, 2011

Learning in another language

Nope, it’s not what you think. Although I am fully aware of the fact that learning another language is very good for your brain and it can ward off senility, I have all I can do to increase my brain capacity right now. I read, I do word games (I am seriously addicted to a word game on Kindle), I memorize the Bible, I draw and paint. I would, I confess, like to have a piano and take piano lessons, which I hear is also great for your brain power. I don’t see that happening any time soon, as a piano is not exactly a line item in my budget.
What I’m actually referring to in the title, is my memorization of the Bible in another translation. In my childhood it was all King James, the only version we used or really knew about. The language is beautiful. Still, we must confess, it is not always as clear as it could be, nor does it use the best esvstudybiblemanuscripts available.  Despite the emotional ties I have to the KJV, it just doesn’t communicate that well to me.
For many years now I have used the NIV (New International Version) and I have read the Bible many times using it, very satisfied with it’s language and clarity. A couple of years ago, however, the ESV (English Standard Version) came out and I was anxious to acquire a copy, which I was able to do.  At first I wasn’t shot in the arm with it, I think because I was so used to the NIV by that time. As I began to use the translation more and more, I began to like it more and more. The Study Bible is really excellent. It is a very conservative, literal translation that preserves a very literary style.
I am using the ESV to read the Bible through this year (following the McCheyne plan - http://www.bibleplan.org/mcheyne.htm) and also for my memorization of Philippians.  Thus, the second language. What I mean is that I heard the KJV so long and learned so many verses from it, that it’s language seems embedded in my mind.  Today, as I was working on Philippians 4:6 I could only think of these words: “Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God”.  So I had to redouble my efforts to learn the verse in a “second” language: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.”
I always kinda stop here to meditate on the fact that worry, anxiousness IS a sin. And that Paul gives us the strategy to deal with it. If we get worried or anxious, we stop and make that known to God. Oh and we give thanks as well. Not so hard, right? Huh! I am trying to learn NOT to be anxious in anything and putting this verse in its context only helps! I’ve always loved this little poem:
OVERHEARD IN AN ORCHARD
Said the robin to the sparrow,
“I should really like to know,
Why these anxious human beings
Rush about and worry so.”
Said the sparrow to the robin,
“Friend I think that it must be,
That they have no Heavenly Father,
Such as cares for you and me.”
–Elizabeth Chaney - 1859

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the KJV and verses memorized from there. I have trouble even reading a verse in another translation if it is one that I have memorized.
Carolyn

Anonymous said...

A lovely blog!! Although I do NOT like the KJV -- I find it ENTIRELY too hard to understand -- at least Chaucer SOUNDS cool when you read it out loud. For Bible I like the Good News Bible -- it's not poetry -- just easy to understand language that I use every day ( although it doesn't put 'eh?' at the end of every second sentence, eh? But no obeisances to the KJV at all!

Yours from the Great White North,

Denny