Sunday, March 27, 2011

Working Hard

I had the privilege and honor to preach in my church this morning because my husband was preaching elsewhere. I am humbled that he trusted me with his pulpit. Those are big shoes to fill.

I used the same text and basic message of yesterday, although shortened and modified for the general congregation and not just pastor’s wives.

I am tired, this afternoon, although I know I will be more so this evening, since I am still a little keyed up.

I find both preparation and preaching immensely difficult and arduous work. Pleasurable, as well. I love digging and digging and studying God’s word and coming to a deep understanding. That to me, is the most fun. However, even harder than understanding is finding a way of expressing, explaining that understanding in a form that is engaging (I did NOT say entertaining). I have the added task of doing that in a second language.

I do not know how pastors do it every week. Especially here in Brazil with two or more sermons every Sunday. I studied the passage I used this morning during weeks and weeks and worked about 10-12 hours a day during the entire week in preparation.

Still, when I stand in the pulpit I tremble. Not literally, because I am not afraid of public speaking. I tremble with the weight of the responsibility. When I begin to speak, it is almost like I step outside myself, and into the text.

Then after that intense experience, I must step down and stand in the receiving line during 30 minutes.

So I ask, is preaching hard work or not? I think so! Be sure to thank your pastor for his hard work.

No comments: