Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Some like it hot, some like it cold.

I like it cold. I like most things cold, but most especially my refrigerator. And it does seem to be getting cold. Yes, the repairman came as promised. He took a look and made a diagnosis and promised to return later in the day to do the fixing.

When 4PM rolled around and he hadn’t come, I figured that was all she wrote. But he did appearDSCF1207 around 4:30 and went straight to work with a  hair dryer, after taking the freezer apart. He seems to think the problem is the sensor didn’t work and so the air flow was blocked so the freezer got colder and colder and the bottom, the refrigerator got hotter and hotter. He never even opened the refrigerator when he started the repair.

He worked a long time heating and heating the elements, DSCF1206and then pouring on two pans of hot water. I had a very wet and dirty floor. But after about an hour of heating and drying and the like, he was suddenly done, handing me a six month guarantee, as well as a bill of R$180, much less than a tenth of what we would have spent to buy a new refrigerator. YEAH!

By the way the repairman, was a really nice guy, and as it turns out, a member of a neighboring Baptist church. We have lots of friends in common and we had a nice talk about churches and people we know. How lovely it was to be able to relax and trust this stranger who was in my home.

We are trying to leave the doors shut and not use either part much until the temperatures gets low enough (about 1-3 degrees /34 or so degrees). I hope this resolves the problem and I can grocery shop. It will be nice to have yogurt again, as well as being able to save left-overs in the fridge, not freeze them. I have all this little packages of bits and pieces in the freezer right now. At least everything is all nice and clean and organized now. That’s good news. So perhaps my refrigerator saga is now ended. To everyone’s relief, mostly mine. It’ll be cold comfort to all of us having a working refrigerator. (Sorry, I couldn’t resist!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you got the problem solved. No fridge in Rio is a PROBLEM!!!