Tuesday, March 15, 2011

To Paint the Light Fantastic

acrylic cat
During Carnaval, I stayed home and quietly engaged in my own thing, that included lots of art work. The problem (or solution?) with art is that you use the side of your brain that knocks out all notion of time or space. Consequently, during the five days of carnaval, I spent a lot of time painting. And doing art work is not quick work, so I was able to finish a few things, but at least I could put on my favorite music and relax. My art teacher says the acrylic paintings I did are very far removed from anything I have done before and she didn’t think I painted them. Funny, I think they look like me. I had a couple of framed canvasses (previously painted, but not by me)and I covered them with whitejack russell painting gesso, and then just painted over them. The problem was they are tiny pictures (about 4 inches square), so they required a lot of precision. The calico cat was rather a disaster (I was working from a art text book and following the step by step). I got so frustrated I threw away the book and did my own thing, and it turned out just ok, but the way I was going in the instructions, it was awful. The Jack Russell terrier came out much better and I was much happier with the result, but then it was a better photograph to work with! I had a resolution in 2009, to try to determine what kind of media I want to specialize in,but I just didn’t managed to do so. I realized while doing these paintings, that I had really decided that I don’t care all that much for acrylic painting, mostly because of the mess and the smell. I may do a few more, but I won’t be doing many of them. I just don’t feel in control of this process and don’t find that much enjoyment from it. By the way, these two paintings are from the book “Painter's Quick Reference - Cats  Dogs”
I recently started reading Daffodil watercolor 2 stageand studying a book on watercolor, called “Paint Watercolors that Dance with Light” and my teacher and fellow classmates were just as enchanted as I am. Her style and suggestions are different than anything I’ve seen. I am finding it a huge challenge to try her style.  Instead of mixing the paints on the pallet to match the colors, you use basic colors on the paper in various layers to create transparent colors. In addition, she uses a latex masking fluid to mark off the white or light areas and preserve a “hard line”.  It is very slow going as you have to let each layer dry thoroughly before moving on. You can see I am making slow progress after two days of work on the daffodils.  I am pleased with the result (although you may find them ugly at this point, hang in there, I still have a long way to go!)
jean luc pastel 2 stageFinally I show you a total original work. Although I love pastels passionately, for the results are just gorgeous, I find that I am just too allergic. In addition, I really hate the nasty little mess they make. I use a mask and even gloves and still end up with a stuffy nose and headaches. I am sorry for that, for I always thought that pastels would be specialty. But watercolors and colored pencils cause me no health problems, so I guess I will probably stick to them. This is from a photo of my sister’s cat who sadly passed away, at a very young age. I think you can see the love in his eye. He was a lovely young man of five and really lends himself to using pastels. When we get some nice weather and I can work outside again, I’ll get back to working on him.
These days of Carnaval are my most productive of the whole year, so it may be a while before I time to finish any other “works of art”.  But now you are caught up in that department.

No comments: