Thursday, March 24, 2011

Slow Down!

I don’t know if you are aware of the “Slow” movement, that encourages us to QUIT multi-tasking, lay off fast food, drive more slowly and learn how to live unrushed. I think that’s part of the process I’ve been undergoing over the last few years. It’s not easy for me to transform from a doer to a “be-er”.  And I still have my moments of guilt when I am not busy about “doing” things and I have nothing002_2 to “cross off” on my “list” of accomplishments for the day.

I am not sure when I began moving more slowly in my life, but I suspect it happened in Canada when I couldn’t take a job because of my visa. That didn’t mean I wasn’t busy, but still less so than I was before. It’s easy to fill up your life with activities.  Of course, I don’t think I was a hyperactive child – I did seem to sleep anywhere the urge hit to rest.

Strange as it may sound, some of things I have changed in slower living, involve MORE work. Living slow is NOT about being lazy. For instance, we eat out much less, and even the food I make is fresh and homemade. No more mixes, instant, frozen or canned food. I tend to grocery shop or market almost daily so as to have fresh fruits, vegetables, bread and meat. That is time consuming! I try to walk instead of taking the car. I am not in a rush to get meals on the table, or finish my shopping.  I have begun to realize that “time-savers” are mostly “money-spenders” and the more I think I need to save time (and where DOES that saved time go anyway?), the more hurried and stressed I am. At the end of the day, does it really matter if I am late getting somewhere, if I have to be stressed, endanger my life and that of others, and be all grumpy with people to be on time?

In addition, I am trying valiantly to learn to do one thing at timekitchen sink and not rush off before finishing what I started. When I have laundry started, lunch cooking, am writing on my blog, the TV is going and I am washing dishes, I am not doing anything well. I think all that multitasking is the reason I have piles of stuff everywhere, because I don’t finish things. So I am trying to start my day by organizing my bedroom, making my breakfast and then sitting down with my Bible. That’s not an easy discipline for me. I tend to have lots of stuff going on at once. A site called FlyLady (Finally Love Yourself), has given me some good advice about doing one thing at a time.  I  love her advice to leave my kitchen sink clean, dry and shiny all the time. (I cannot expect everyone else to cooperate with this philosophy in my house, but most of the time, I have this small satisfaction of knowing that my kitchen is organized.)  She gives the simple suggestion of cleaning one room, one area before moving on to the next.  Do it slowly.

I no longer try to do tons of stuff in one day. Even when I am on vacation, I tryMia_dormindo_sofa to do it slowly. I am in no hurry to visit every museum and see every tourist site in the book. I am happy to take in the view and just be quiet.  To learn to be quiet, is a new art form. I really need to take lessons from Mia. I think she sleeps more than the 20 hours of most cats.  I think I am much happier for not living “rushed”. When they measured my blood pressure the other day it was 110/60. Not bad for someone my age (and weight).  I do not doubt that being rushed and stressed about it takes a heavy toll. It goes hand in hand with being anxious. I may do less things, I may have less things, but I have no doubt my life is richer and happier and deeper for slowing down. So, if I may be so bold as to suggest something… take a deep breath, let it out slowly and then just have a sit. Think about what you need to do slowly. Maybe you need to do nothing… slowly!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Farm life has taught me to slow down....there is always something to do but no need to rush through it. I concentrate on doing each job well and enjoy doing it. Now, with no animals (except cats and dogs), life is even slower.

Peggy Fonseca said...

You know I envy you. Yesterday we were with friends who have moved to a rural region and spend their days probably similar to you. We were inspired to think about doing so in our retirement. By the way, where did all your animals go? Were they just too much work?

Anonymous said...

Sounds great to me. I tend to do that more in Arizona, but when I get here I want to rush around and get things done.
Carolyn